AmkA.Info Online – Guide to information, advisory centres, services

Registration and residence


You will have a lot to do when you arrive in Frankfurt. For example: you will have to register with the city or apply for various documents.

Here you will find information on the following:

If you have just moved to Frankfurt am Main

Register in person at the Bürgeramt (Citizens' Office) within two weeks. To do this you will need:

  • An address where you can be reached
  • Confirmation from your landlord or the person you live with. In German, this is called a "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung".
  • Your identity document (passport or identity card)

You can find the addresses and opening hours of all Bürgerämter (Citizens' Offices) in your area here:

You can download forms and make an appointment online:

You can find more information on registering, deregistering or re-registering a flat here:

If you are not from the EU

If you are not from another EU country, you will have to register with the Ausländerbehörde (Foreigner’ Registration Office). The Foreigner’ Registration Office is responsible for everything to do with residence.

You can find the address and opening hours here:

You can download forms to apply for or renew your residence permit, for example:

You do not have to go to the Foreigner’ Registration Office yourself for everything. You can read more about this in the "Kontaktinformationen Ausländerbehörde" (Foreigner’ Registration Office Contact Information) in Arabic, German, English, French and Turkish:

The Foreigner’ Registration Office can answer many of your questions online. You can read the answers to the most frequently asked questions in Arabic, Bosnian, Chinese, German, English, Hindi, Serbian, Spanish and Turkish:

If you need help in contacting a public authority


Some letters can be difficult to understand. And sometimes you might not know how to fill out an application.There are several advice centres that you can turn to for help:

If you have problems or questions about your residence

You can get an initial legal assessment here - free of charge:

If you need help with your ongoing asylum procedure

Do you live in shared accommodation? Then please ask the responsible social workers. You can also get help here:

Just ask us! Advice centre AmkA.Info

If you have any more questions: AmkA.Info can give you more help.

Phone: 069 – 21 24 15 15

Or write an e-mail:

We speak German and English.

Do you have any questions?

115 is the telephone number for public authorities. Ring this number if you have any questions about Frankfurt's local authority offices: (069) 115


Also read our tips on what to do when you arrive in Germany.

Back to the topic selection.